
B is for Brighton...Home of the Bengals!
Let me just start out by saying that High school was no where near the best years of my life! In fact I really struggled with the idea of doing a post about my high schoo
l years. But alas I gave in. After all it was a 3 year chunk of my life. My high school years were awkward. I feel like I never really fit in with any certain group or crowd. I just sort of did my own thing and somehow always managed to find someone to sit with at lunch. I'm not sure why I was so awkward and strange but I was. I hate hearing people of any age say how much they just loved high school and how much they miss it and how wonderful it was. Spare me. Now don't get me wrong I did enjoy high school and I have a couple of friends that I still associate with today. It just wasn't this wonderful, grand experience where every body loved me and I loved every bod
y else. My focus was school, believe it or not. I took a lot of college courses to earn college credit. I also ended up getting my Medical Assistant technical degree my senior year through the school districts Tech. Center. I was also really involved with the Special Needs Mutual program. I was called as a youth counselor my sophomore and Junior year and then they called me to be 1st counselor in the Young Women's presidency my senior year and I ended up staying in the calling for the next 2 years. I loved working the handicapped youth. There was just something so sweet and innocent about them.
Because of my involvement with Special Needs Mutual I also got involved with the peer tutoring program at school. I got to spend 1 class period a day in the Special Ed classroom helping out. My Jr. year they offered a Special Needs Seminary class. It was such a cool experience to be able to take Seminary with them. Our teacher was Bro. Brown. He did his best to make Seminary fun for the kids. He taught us the Scripture Mastery scriptures from the Book of Mormon in Sign Language. It was pretty neat. My Senior year there was a group of us that got together and took the kids from the special needs class to the Halloween Dance. It was suc
h a blast and I think that everybody had fun. I didn't go to very many dances in high school. I think I went to 4 or 5. I wasn't one of those girls who asked to all the girl's choice dances. I guess it was lack of self confidence that comes with being 17. I did go to a dance with my good friend Tyler my Jr. year. It was a Hawaiian theme. It was probably one of the funniest dances I went to. It was fun to go with such a good friend. I didn't have to worry about impressing him. I could just be myself. I did get asked to my Senior Prom. It's kind of a funny story. I can honestly say I can't even remember my date's name! I got asked by a friend of a friend. He went to my school but I had no idea who he was but I knew everybody else in the group! He actually went to the wrong house to ask me. We moved one street over the Summer between my Sophomore and Junior year. He must have used the old school directory to find my address! So early one morning my parents get this call from the people who moved into our old house wanting to know if they have a daughter named Sarah becaue someone
had asked "Sarah" to prom the night before. I drove over to our old house and there was this gigantic rock on the doorstep with a sign that said something like "It would rock to go to prom with you." He had written his name on the bottom of the rock. Honestly I thought it was some cruel joke because I had no idea who this kid was and I thought someone had just made the name up. I was ok once I went home and looked him up in my year book and realized that he was a real person! Then I got to school and some of my friends knew who he was. Luckily he was in a friend of mine's ward so she helped me go to "answer him." (By the way the whole asking and answering to dances is such a Utah thing!) It turned out that in addition to this being his first dance it was also his first date! Needless to say it was a little awkward between the 2 of us! But I knew everyone else in the group so it turned out to be fun anyway. It was funny because I never saw that kid again. Well actually no that's not true he did finally bring me our picture a year and a half latter. I was actually already engaged to David when he finally brought them to me. I have no idea where I put them. Hence the prom night picture with my dad instead of my date! The last high school memory I wanted to talk about was my good friend Heather. She is one of the few high school friends I talk to. (Well besides face book, which doesn't really count...) Heather and I have been friends since our Sophomore year of high school. It is amazing to me that we are still friends! We had a lot of the same classes together and we had lunch tog
ether too. We hung out a ton our Junior year. We both worked at Hallmark together so we saw each other a lot. We both took the Medical Assisting class together our Senior year. We kind of went our separate ways right after graduation. She went away to college and I started dating Dave. But then we ended up working together at the same doctor's office. She came to my wedding and I went to hers. We have just remained good buds. She came and saw me at home after I had Joseph. When she found out about Dave and I she came right over to see me the day after she got my e-mail. What I love most about Heather is that she always knows when I need a little boost. She'll send me an e-mail or a card. As a matter of fact the day I received my initial divorce papers in the mail (which also happened to be our 6 year anniversary) there was also a little card from Heather. It was just what I needed! She is going to be having a baby boy soon and I am so excited for her. She will be a great mom! Well folks there you have it. A brief o
verview of my high school years. It's funny to me because at the time I thought that my years in high school were so important. I even remember somebody ,who was obviously much more popular than me, telling me once that if I didn't get asked to my Junior Prom I would regret it for the rest of my life...Funny I ended up not getting asked to my Junior prom and I haven't really thought about until just this moment.... It kind of reminds me of the Brad Paisley song, Letter to Me. The song is about what he would tell himself if he could write a letter to his younger teen aged self. If I were to write a letter to me back in high school I would probably tell myself to relax more and have fun and not be so darn worried about what everybody else thinks because in 3 years you won't really see any of these people. So there you have it folks. A post all about Brighton, the B I sometimes wish to forget!
l years. But alas I gave in. After all it was a 3 year chunk of my life. My high school years were awkward. I feel like I never really fit in with any certain group or crowd. I just sort of did my own thing and somehow always managed to find someone to sit with at lunch. I'm not sure why I was so awkward and strange but I was. I hate hearing people of any age say how much they just loved high school and how much they miss it and how wonderful it was. Spare me. Now don't get me wrong I did enjoy high school and I have a couple of friends that I still associate with today. It just wasn't this wonderful, grand experience where every body loved me and I loved every bodSong: Eye of the Tiger (Played at every assembly and football game in high school)
Up next...C is for cousins!








No comments:
Post a Comment