Sunday, October 17, 2010

My cup runneth over

I had a really cool experience last Sunday and I wanted to record it so that I don't ever forget it. We had a lesson in Relief Society about Faith. The lesson was really great. The Sister teaching the lesson read a quote by Sherri Dew. Sorry I couldn't find the exact quote. But it was something along the lines of how do we know that we are faithful unless we are tested? One of the ladies raised her hand and shared how she had grown-up in a church going family and you just went to church on Sundays and read your scriptures and paid your tithing. You just did it. This sister commented on how growing up this way helped her get through times when she was tested. She said that even when life was tough she continued to come to church because that is what she was supposed to do. This is exactly how I have felt. I have really struggled for the last year and a half or so with church. It wasn't that I didn't have a testimony it was just that I felt like my cup was empty. Honestly I have just sort of been going through the motions. I go to church every Sunday because that is what I am supposed to do, not because it is this grand spiritual experience every week. I spent sacrament meeting keeping 2 toddlers entertained and then spent 2 hours in Primary. There have been so many Sundays that I know my 3 year old got more out of church than I did. But the point is I still went every week because I knew that if I wanted to feel spiritually full again I had to keep putting myself in situations where I could be spiritually fed. For me this really happened last week in Relief Society. It was as if I could suddenly feel my cup running over and spilling out in the form of tears. I just remember thanking Heavenly Father in my heart for this feeling. He knew what I needed to hear and I made sure that I was in the right place to hear it. Part of why I wanted to blog this instead of just writing it down somewhere private is because I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When did he get so big?!?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Growing too fast!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers